Monday, May 23, 2011

"Garden of Weedin'"

and pruning, and trimming, and clearing, and dividing....amazing how our very rainy spring has managed to help cultivate everything into "overgrowth"...and even the weeds! A recent sunny day allowed a partial start to the yard. Thankfully, my yard is not quite as overgrown as that shown in this photo....(thanks to Shorpy.com for the photo!) but it will take several days to get around the yard in hopes of bringing it to its best. Why is it that it seems like a good idea to add gardens when one first moves into a place, only to realize that the upkeep easily becomes a chore rather than a joy? When all is finally "back in shape", (and the weather cooperates to allow for this to happen), many hours will be spent out there enjoy the fruits of my labor...reading, floating in the pool, enjoying coffee on the deck....and trying to avoid noticing that those chores all need doing again!

6 comments:

  1. The solution is to have more barbeque parties to everyone can ooo and awwwe about how lovely your garden is! Share the love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you do the yard work, that is the key...get everybody over before they miss it! That works for the "inside" work as well...otherwise, just having lots of "get well" cards around makes it seem as though you have an excuse for NOT getting the work done!! Hope that you had a great weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an oddball because I know that many people enjoy gardening....I hate it. I do appreciate the look of a lovely garden, but grubbing in the dirt has never appealed to me. :( At the moment our yard is a massive, overgrown mess (almost like your pic!)

    Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, I like the look of the gardens after I work in them...at the beginning of the summer. I no longer pretend to be that interested in them, other than not being shamed by them, after that point. I think of it as exercise...very tedious, boring, back-breaking exercise....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hire a gardener...it's the best way to "REALLY ENJOY" your yard! then you can exercise by tip-toeing through the tulips! :)

    yeah Linda i can post again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the key is to pretend that you live in a condo and hire out all of the work...it should still be less money than condo fees! Glad to see you back, Annie!

    ReplyDelete