Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sister Holy Matrimony...


the wedding planner, has been attending wedding showers as "'tis the season!" A few weddings coming up, so June weddings mean May showers...
One of the showers recently attended had a unique theme. All of the guests were asked to bring items to suit a particular month. We were given lots of "notice" because the invitations to the shower were sent out a few months early. My month was October, and because of my fall craft show line, I was able to incorporate some of the items I create. This new bride hosts a Hallowe'en party each year, so that was the theme I chose, rather than "fall" or "Thanksgiving" (Canadian Thanksgiving is in October....) It was fun trying to find items to "go" with the items I knew that I was going to make for the gift....an oval ceramicware casserole (the base for the gift), some matching mini-bakers for small loaves, condiments, etc., black and white tea towels, some "Hallowe'en" plates, and the handcrafted items, soft-sculptured pumpkins (one has a face!), a "Fullabean" witch, and some "candy corn" diva dishcloths in the typical colors. All wrapped up in my favorite way to wrap....cellophane wrap, with "Hallowe'en" cookie cutters tied to the raffia ribbon!
Even though it was fun to put the gift together, it was even more fun to see what people came up with for the other months...the favorite being "June"...this was a group gift and they chose stainless mixing bowls, (nested), a strawberry dish that somehow was a huller, slicer, etc. all in one, martini glasses, strawberry vodka, and recipes for strawberry martinis. The "summer" months gifted a variety of items...coolers for the patio, dishes, chairs, etc. and the people who managed to have a "holiday" month had fun with their choices as well. It was as much fun to watch the presents being opened as being the one who received them! (well, almost...come to think of it, all my stuff needs replacing...an anniversary shower might be in order!:)

8 comments:

  1. Really great and creative ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, is was a "fun" type of shower....and a good idea for any future showers I may have to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unique and fun, just like my favourite Sister. BTW Laura and Brandon got engaged in Vegas, but the Big Day not until next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, there, "Sister"! I KNOW about that engagement...ran into them when I was working at a wedding show! Great to have another wedding in the family...maybe they need "Sister Holy Matrimony" to organize it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this shower gift! So original and creative and I bet the bride-to-be is thrilled
    with it.

    Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that she was surprised that people could find things for the season they were assigned "out of season". Tried to put a few useful things in this gift, but I am sure that her husband-to-be is just rolling his eyes at the "stuff" we all thought that she should have! Some very thoughtful people "wrapped" their gifts in plastic bins for storage. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun shower idea! Your stuff is great! Orange is coming back in style, I think. I saw orange and white plateware at the grocery store just yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you that orange is back...great combined with so many colors, not just the old typical combos we saw in the 70's. (oops, I mean, from what I have been told about the 70's! :)

    ReplyDelete