Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Day in the Life...

Today, on the "Oprah" show, Lisa Ling interviewed and spent time with a group of nuns at a convent near Detroit, Michigan. If you missed the show, you can view a video of a typical day at this particular convent at this link. What was particularly amazing to hear was that the average age of the nuns at this convent was twenty-six! It is rare that one hears of anyone entering a convent these days, at least at the convents that we have locally, so this figure was amazing to me. When you watch the video, you will be interested to see how serene a life these sisters lead....but also see a side of life in the convent that you might not have known about. The nuns playing floor hockey in their habits, and having fun, being competitive, and sharing lots of laughs was great! Seeing the Sisters playing cards and Scrabble made me think of "Sister Anita Wordsworth", and "Sister Delta Hand" in my own little "online convent", and confirmed to me my original idea that we are all "sisters", sharing the same "habits"!
Enjoy the videos and the others that are on the "Oprah" site regarding these special nuns interviewed today. It is certain that one will admire the lifestyle and the conviction of these fine ladies.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to check out the vids! I'm really surprised at the young age of the nuns! I wonder if, given some of the trials of our current world, if more young people are returning to a more secular life?


    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing to see the peace in these women. They seemed to have answered a true "call", and that is something that we don't often hear about these days. They do not miss the "trappings" of life as a lay person at all....makes me want to get rid of a few things myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting this with the link. I don't watch Oprah so I missed it.

    ReplyDelete