Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sister Rita Story recommends....

the book by Julie Powell, "Julie and Julia". Read this in the summer, and crammed it in before heading to the movies to the see the film. Enjoyed the book a great deal, and was amazed at the complicated recipes that Julie tried to make each night in an attempt to go through each recipe in Julia Child's cookbook. Certainly not recipes for cholesterol problems, etc. but sounded divine (well, most of them!) to enjoy at a dinner party. 
   Julie wrote a blog about her adventures in the kitchen and experienced great expense in searching out the ingredients for these recipes. One of her blog readers suggested that she set up a "Paypal" button on her blog for readers to donate to her cause. What a great idea!!! I have some major expenses coming up for my business as well....perhaps I should do the same thing! Why, I would bet with all of my regular readers, with everyone contributing one dollar to my cause, why I could reach a grand total of.....$3.00!! Well, perhaps, I will leave this idea to Julie for whom it worked and who had a great following. In any case, enjoyed the book even though I like recipes that call for about four ingredients or less, or are those found on a menu! If you cook, you would especially enjoy this book.  
   The movie was not a disappointment, either. First of all, how could a movie starring Meryl Streep be a disappointment?? Never! And, Amy Adams was wonderful as well as "Julie". The movie included many details of the book, and was not one of those movies which strayed too far from the intent of the writer. Someday, even a cook wannabe like myself might try Julia's "Boeuf Bourgignon" recipe....but don't hold your breath! :)

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmm, I've never been a huge fan of Julia Child so the book didn't appeal to me, however I have read nothing but great reviews on it.

    LOL at the Paypal 'donate to the cause'.....that doll clay and supplies gets expensive! I wonder how I would do? Maybe enough to purchase 1/4 bar of clay! hee

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete