Thursday, April 30, 2009

Advice from Sister Dani DeVino...

A phytonutrient that has come to the attention of many (after Dr. Oz mentioned it on "Oprah"...) is resveratrol. This is a nutrient which is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-aging abilities.
It is found in many foods, but can also be found in a supplement. Of course, when my friend and I asked for this at the health food store recently, we called it by the wrong name, and pronounced it "reverse it all"....(wishful thinking??) 
    If one wishes to find this nutrient in food, you can find it in peanuts (about a handful), peanut butter (2 tablespoons), purple grapes, (about 1-2 cups, and the nutrient is found in the skins), purple grape juice, cranberries, or the juice of cranberries, and purple grape juice. However, one can also find it in....RED WINE!!!  Who knew? Finally, a nutrient that is found in something that Sister Dani DeVino can agree with!
   Cheers! :)

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately red wine gives me a looloo of a headache - I do however eat about 3 - 4 cups of red/purple grapes a day. I started last year when I was looking for something to substitute for chocolate (I have a huge sweet tooth), and after reading about "reverse it all" LOL,
    I started on the grapes. I'm now totally addicted to them, and amazingly, my blood pressure has gone down to normal.

    Swear by resveratrol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, that is great news! I was just so excited to find out that red wine was so good for you, that I didn't really realize the long term effects of taking in this nutrient! Blood pressure down to normal! That is amazing! I may become addicted to purple grapes now....or wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear sister, you know you can convince me of practically anything, however, I consumed red wine with my card group the other night, had cranberries on yogurt for breakfast and two tablespoons of peanut butter on a bagel for lunch, but still have jowls....now what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Carmel Popcorn...the answer is simple...you haven't consumed ENOUGH red wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah yes a fine merlot is SO good for you!
    a glass a day keeps the doctor away! :)

    ReplyDelete